There are so many online games now that it’s very easy to just get sucked into the online world and some find it very difficult to leave! Besides the extreme cases these games are actually often very very fun and a great way to relax and even socialize with other gamers around the globe.
You can now play online games through almost any games console on the market and through your desktop or laptop PC. On the Internet itself many of these are free.
Whilst playing these games, safety is paramount. Safety of yourself with things such as identity and abuse received from other individuals online and also safety for your health from playing for too long.
Here are some tips to help you keep safe whilst enjoying online game play.
Safeguarding from identity theft and harassment
- Always sign up for things under a specific email designated just for online games. This way you can keep all gamer accounts separate from personal info in one place.
- Use a pseudonym, never use your real name, especially not your first and last name.
- Do not link or reveal your personal Facebook and Myspace accounts to anyone.
- Report any abuse from anyone IMMEDIATELY… This is never to be tolerated. Also log off straight away and only come back when you know the game has done something about your report.
- Only play well known large games.
- Never give out credit card details, ever unless it is a very reputable company, for example World of Warcraft
Safeguarding your health
- Take a short break from the screen every hour, get up, walk around, stretch.
- Keep plenty of fluid with you throughout game play, ideally water.
- Eat healthy snacks every few hours, fruit is ideal.
- Tell someone you are playing, if you have been too long they can at least advise you to stop playing and take a longer break.
- Make sure you socialize with real people and real friends.